Friday, November 13, 2009

Starting Solids....

Ok Ladies we're starting solids tomorrow; sort of...
let me clarify we have been giving Emma oatmeal cereal for a few weeks because of some random constipation and stool issues, she's doing GREAT but now we are starting solid vegetables/fruit. So I have questions:
1. I'm making my own so if you have any tips?? I'm pretty set up but just incase I missed something I'd love your input.
2. My biggest question is "scheduling of foods"
Right now her day is nursing 4(5) times a day, cereal 3 times a day but
I know that "eventually" her day will look like this...
Bkfst: nurse, cereal, fruit
Lunch: nurse, fruit, veggie
Dinner: nurse, cereal, fruit, veggie
Bedtime: nurse, bed
So first off When will it look like that?
and second we're starting carrots for a few days, then squash for a few, then sweet potatoes for a few, etc.... so does she just have nursing 4 times, cereal 3 times and at one random meal she has this new veggie/fruit that we're introducing or once she has carrots am I supposed to now give her multiple veggies in one day?
I don't know if that made sense and I'm sure I'm overthinking it but if you understood my confusion I'd love your input?! I partly have these questions because I'm making my own baby food and I am sort of getting set up with things I need to buy, freeze, etc...
Thank You I'd love to hear what you think or what you did!

10 comments:

Christi said...

man oh man do i wish i could give you advice ... so much do i wish i could share a personal experience. hugs to ya'll.

Sabrina said...

Oh thanks Christi:)... no worries we'll figure it out. We made pureed carrots last night (see what you have to look forward to on Friday night date nights? Making baby food:)LOL) So we'll just start with that today for lunch and we'll go from there. This parenting thing really ends up being what works best for you & your husband, ya know... Hope all is well:) Love the new site by the way!

The Wallace Clan said...

I suggest to nurse after feeding and here is why. She already loves to nurse, but not to sure about food. So feed her first when she is the hungriest and she will still nurse after.

Katie said...

I'll bet you're going to settle into the food-nursing groove just fine, but here's what I've done:

- Don't put nursing and solid food times super close together. (They say liquids with foods can mess up digestion anyway, so some doctors I've read say to nurse at least 20 minutes removed from meals.)
- Nursing is still Emma's main source of nourishment, so a few bites of solid food is fine! :)
- Once you've introduced a veggie for the 3-day introduction period, you could now give it at multiple times during the day. Say she's had carrots for 3 days now, you could give her carrots at lunch AND the new sweet potatoes (or whatever). Once you've introduced a number of new things, they can go in a rotation, so she won't necessarily have carrots every single day once she's eating 4-5 things.
- Here's a hypothetical schedule for an early eater:
7 am-ish - wake and nurse
8 am-ish - breakfast (oatmeal mixed with breastmilk)
10 am-ish/around morning nap - nurse
12 - lunch
1 pm-ish/around afternoon nap - nurse
4 pm-ish/after nap - nurse
6 pm - dinner
7/8 pm - nurse

At least that's what I've done. A "meal" time could sometimes be only a couple of bites, but since the meal time wasn't more than an hour or two from a nursing, you know the baby won't be too hungry after having not eaten too much for the meal. These months are all about exploration and new fun tastes and figuring out how to swallow and use the spoon etc. etc. etc.!

Sorry for the LONG comment but thought I could give some experience! :)

Adam Sarah Parker said...

My suggestion would be give breast milk first. If you look at the calorie content of the food it is so little. So you don't want her to fill up on food before you nurse she need the calories. The objective is to introduce different tastes and textures, so don't worry if she doesn't eat anything, she doesn't really need it till after her first year. Hope that helps, I was so careful to introduce all different things to Parker and he still is not really eating any of it. So don't worry to much! lol

Sabrina said...

Oh my gosh Ladies, Thank You so Much!! I love all the mommy wisdom:). Katie don't be sorry I LOVE all the details you know that:)... well we nursed and then ate some carrots today and she really seemed to like them. I didn't warm them up or anything; I should probably do that? But anyway she nursed well, ate a few bites of carrots:)and then even ate a few bites of her familiar cereal. So we'll see, just startin' out! Love you guys, thanks

Sharri said...

Looks like I checked the blog a little late, and you already have plenty of great advice! The only thing I ever heard was that you're supposed to give them one new thing at a time to see if they're allergic to anything... But I totally cheated! I thought solids were so fun!

PS-Chandler's favorites were carrots and sweet potatoes too... If you've ever heard the old wives tale that you'll turn orange from too many carrots, well, it's true! No joke... :)

Sharri said...

PPS - SUPER impressed you're making your own food, by the way!

Sabrina said...

Sharri you're so funny:).... it actually was very easy to make; well at least so far!

Well thanks again everyone, so far so good. I wouldn't say carrots are her favorite but she's taking to it pretty well:). We'll try butternut squash next and hopefully she'll enjoy those?!:)

Katie said...

P.S. I wouldn't worry about warming the carrots... You don't want to get her used to those things that take extra effort!!!--how would you warm the carrots if you brought them with you somewhere? :)